· If you are still looking for excuses then below are some people who have overcome the odds to reach for the stars
· Edgar Allen Poe
· "Men have called me mad," wrote Edgar Allan Poe, but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence...whether much that is glorious--whether all that is profound--does not spring from disease of thought..." Poe suffered from severe mood swings and a drinking problem which eventually killed him but not before he became one of the greatest writers ever.
· Winston Churchill
· Prime Minister United Kingdom"Had he been a stable and equitable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgment might well have concluded that we were finished," wrote Anthony Storrabout Churchill's bipolar disorder in Churchill's Black Dog, Kafka's Mice, and Other Phenomena of the Human Mind.
· Abraham Lincoln
· 16th President
· Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness, author Joshua Wolf Shenk writes: "Sometimes, an impenetrable fog seemed to settle around him... [At times] Lincoln sunk into a deep depression which deeply worried his friends and led in 1841 to aggressive medical treatment which probably made him worse. Lincoln went on to become one of our greatest presidents however and a national hero.
· Ernest Hemingway
· Winner of the Pulitzer Prize (1952), and the Nobel Prize in Literature (1954), the novelist's suicidal depression is examined inThe True Gen: An Intimate Portrait of Ernest Hemingway by Those Who Knew Him by Denis Brian.
· Dave Matthews
· chart-topping musician, composer
· "I was depressed. It was not a good time for me," he told Rolling Stone magazine. "I was feeling remarkably alone… I don't want to be someone who writes about how sad I am, I'd rather write…with some sort of strength. Otherwise, I don't think there's any gift - or offering - being made. I would like to be an inspiring force." A new album, with an entirely new sound, essentially saved Dave's life; he finally felt good about what he'd accomplished.
· These are just some of the people who overcame even a mood disorder to reach for their dreams. Will you dare to?